Friday, March 4, 2011

The Beginning Continued

I left you with a cliff hanger didn't I? I bet you're on the edge of your seat just dying to know what happened next!! 
Well, obviously by the title of this blog I have three kids. So you know that much! But let's go back to the fine details of the lightbulb waking me out of my klutzy pregnant stupor! That wonderful Cinco de Mayo (and trust me I will never forget Cinco de Mayo from here on out!) I woke up to get the kids ready for school. I made the coffee. I peed on a stick. Waited for the two lines to show up. Walked up stairs, put my hands behind my back and asked my husband to point to the one he wanted. One hand held the coffee. The other held the pregnancy test. Either way husband was getting a big surprise that morning!
The rest of the day went a lot like this through text messaging. (Boy am I glad we have unlimited texting.)
Him: REALLY?
me: uh huh.
Him: REALLY??????
me: yup.
Him: Wait. Another one? REALLY????
me: uh huh. 
This literally went on for days. I'd be at the grocery store and my phone would make that one text honk that everyone who has an iPhone seems to have would go off and I'd see "REALLY?" across the screen. The sad thing was we weren't totally surprised. I mean obviously, we are a healthy couple. We have sex. It's the way things work, and well, babies happen that way. 
But here is the kicker. In October 2009 just seven months prior to me getting pregnant, we had given every last baby thing away to my sister who was pregnant with twins. Sure I had some sentimental items from both of the kids being babies, but we had no crib. No sheets, no blankets, no socks, no hats, no clothes, no baby bath, no toys, nothing. We have a house full of Legos, Star Wars toys, and a pile of art. There was no room, in our minds, for baby rattles and diapers. 
Slowly coming to terms with being pregnant again, we didn't really speak much of what we were going to "do" - the subject was: we are having a baby. We've done this before. We know how to handle it! So on Mother's Day I called my Mom and told her the news. I tried to be all cute and sweet and tell her she needs to make room for another charm on her grandmother bracelet but I couldn't even get that out of my mouth before she blurted "Your pregnant!" She actually laughed at me because deep down she knew that we weren't done having kids. I wish people would tell me these things when they have foresight that I don't. Thanks Mom. 
We slowly told the rest of both sides of the family. My husband waited until after I went to the doctor at eight weeks to email all of his siblings. Oh, did I mention my husband is the youngest of eight children? Yes. I think it's crazy too. But so does he and all of his siblings. And no, we won't be following in his parents footsteps and procreating five more times. 
So to fast forward through the pregnancy rather quickly because honestly how many pregnancy stories can a person read? It is important for one to remember, but that one should usually be the mother. The father will just remember it all wrong any way. Our third child, our second son, was born January 6, 2011 at 9:38PM. All I will say is that it was a hellish day of induction and I never ever EVER want to go through that again!

So that is the beginning. There is so much more obviously, however I feel that to go forward with this blog the foundation should be laid. (Thanks dad for my gift in analogy usage.) Our perfect family of four turned into a wonderful family of five. We are thrilled to have our newest addition to our lives. But after a day like today, and yesterday, and the day before, and ... I am glad there is Vodka. 

Oh! As if you need proof that we are surviving this parenting three children program one cocktail at a time. Husband just went upstairs to rescue crying newborn with a cocktail in one hand, and an iPad in the other. 

Cocktail of the day: Greyhound

No comments:

Post a Comment